You can never keep an old bird down…

The mass weblog integration has been made, but not without a lot of problems. Most of the category associations were lost, and since I used categories as part of the permalinks, posts will end up with a new permalink that doesn’t map to the old. The only way to fix this will be to manually edit the posts.

WordPress also sets up the .htaccess file in such a way that if a subdirectory is protected with .htaccess authentication, such as my Adding Ajax review directory, it intercedes and wants to fulfill the request. In the .htaccess file, two conditions check to see if the object being accessed exists as a file or a directory. If it does, the request is passed through; if it doesn’t WordPress assumes it’s one of its pages.

However, an authentication request is neither a file nor a directory, and these ended up triggering WP processing.

I found that several other people had this problem, but I’m using workaround which seems to work well. Once the book review is over, I won’t have a password protected subdirectory and can get rid of it.

The site design: simple. My main interest was reducing the amount of white in the text area, providing a site that could display photos, and I wanted to incorporate Hubble images. The banner has a changing Hubble image, which of course you have to click through to see if you’re reading this in a syndication feed.

Speaking of which, these are all redirected, and should show up in your aggregators.

This is brand new, and I only have so much time with the work on the book. Please be patient while I work through the kinks, but do let me if there’s a problem.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email