Recovered from the Wayback Machine.
Before blasting script, willy nilly at my sites, I wanted to gather opinions from those most impacted: you. Of the following, which do you consider useful as compared to frivolous? Are there any you consider important enough to introduce invalid XHTML?
- Live Preview, where a comment is previewed as the person writes it.
- Spellcheck of comment. Which of the two options: Live spellchecking or the current open new window spellchecking.
- In-place editing of comment as compared to server-side editing of comment (as currently enabled at this site).
- In-place editing of comment as compared to having no post-comment editing.
- Live update of list of comments or posts, as you’re reading and without page refresh.
- Expanding comments in the main page when the comments link is clicked (in-page reading).
- Animated or otherwise activated menus, such as the one currently implemented at ScriptTeaser.
- Dropdown menus that expand to show all menu options.
- Summarized posts on the front page, which then expand when a plus sign (’+’) is clicked.
- Be able to turn photos off, and have the site remember to filter photos.
- Expand code blocks on demand.
- Being able to re-arrange weblog page and have the new arrangement ’stick’. (IE being able to size main content, sidebars, move sidebars, eliminate sidebars, and so on.)
- Being able to pick stylesheet.
- Being able to choose font: family and size.
- Being able to change site colors based on a pick list.
- Autosaving of longer comments, as they’re being written.
- Expandable metadata sections for each post.
- Mouseover that pop up information associated with post, such as related posts.
- Use of microformats for reviews, events, where microformat exists.
- Being able to access Google/Yahoo map through link, metadata, expandable section, or live embedding when post is somehow geographically related (such as with photos, events, and so on).
- Being able to add your tags to post.
- Being able to add other metadata, such as related links, to the post.
- Being able to expand a photo in the page.
- Add a slider to darken or lighten the page text.
- Adding a live chat feature.
- Being able to opaque everything but a post you’re currently reading (remove distraction).
- Persist commenter’s name, email, and URL.
- Live search (posts/comments returned as search term being input)
- Games. Yes, games. Just like the paper mat you used to color on when you went out to the pancake house when you were a kid.
If I missed any ideas, let me know. Appreciations for the feedback.